You may experience a problem ERR_PROXY_CONNECTION_FAILED error, and the browser fails to open web pages when you are surfing the internet with Chrome, Firefox, Explorer, etc. Which means the proxy server is refusing the connections.
This error could be caused because of the incorrect internet connection, or something wrong with the proxy server or maybe the address is incorrect.
Also, it might be their chances of potentially harmful software that you were tricked into installing
So how to fix ERR_PROXY_CONNECTION_FAILED? In this article, we’ll describe all the methods, but first of all, we will know about what proxy?
What Is Proxy Server?
A proxy server is an application or a mediator server that comes in between the client and the internet. All incoming data passes through one port and is being forwarded via another port to the rest of the network
The advantage of a proxy server is when users browse or do anything online anonymously, it intercepts the connection between sender and receiver when your PC’s proxy setting become changed by any malicious software or third party program and you may encounter this connection error. Some malicious browser extensions or maybe VPN software also can create this trouble
Check Proxy Setting
Incorrect proxy settings are one reason for ERR_PROXY_CONNECTION_FAILED. By default, Proxy should be disabled in widows. Some malicious software or third-party programs can change it, especially if you found them on a public network. So you may need to disable proxy settings on the PC. To disable follow these steps:
- Press “Windows Key + R”, then type “inetcpl.cpl” and click the “OK” button (or you can type “internet options” in search results) to open internet properties
- Click on the “Connection” tab and then select “LAN” settings button at the bottom.
- Make sure Proxy Server is unchecked (the third checkbox). If it is checked, then remove it.
- Check “Automatically Detect Settings” and make sure all other boxes are unchecked in this window.
- Click “Ok” then Apply and restart your PC
After you have done check your internet connection started working or not by visiting a webpage to see ERR_PROXY_CONNECTION_FAILED error is fixed, if not. try another method.
Delete Proxy Settings
You may also try temporarily disabling Proxy to resolve the ERR_PROXY _CONNECTION_FAILED error. To disable, simply follow the procedures below:
- Press ‘Windows Key + R“, then type “Regedit” and press “Enter” (or click “Ok”) to open Registry Editor.
- Now navigate to this path: HKEY_CURRENT_USE > Software > Microsoft > Windows > Current Version > Internet Setting
- In the right panel, delete all the following values: ProxyEnable, ProxyOverride, MigrateProxy, ProxySevere.
- Once you have done then restart your computer.
IMPORTANT NOTE: Before doing any changes to the Windows Registry, it is highly recommended that first of all create its backup. To do so, go to the File tab and select Export from the drop-down menu.
Transmission Control Protocol (TCP) / Internet Protocol (IP) is a communication protocol used to interconnect network devices on the internet. Sometimes resetting TCP/IP can help you to get rid of ERR_CONNECTION_FAILED error. Here is how you can do that:
- Press “Windows Key + R”, then type “cmd”, and press “Ctrl + Shift + Enter” to open a command prompt as an administrator.
- Type the following commands and hit Enter after typing each of them.
netsh winsock reset
netsh int ip reset
- Once done type “Exit” and press Enter to close Command Prompt
- To execute the changes restart your computer to fix ERR_PROXY_CONNECTION_FAILED error
Renew IP Address
There may be chances error message is caused by issues with your internet IP address. Renewing IP addresses can resolve this issue. Follow the steps below to release and renew your IP address:
- Open Command Prompt (Admin)
- Now type the following commands and hit Enter after typing each of them.
- Type “Exit” and press Enter to close Command Prompt and restart your PC.
How To Fix “ERR_PROXY_CONNECTION_FAILED” Error On Android?
If you’ve noticed that the ERR PROXY CONNECTION FAILED error appears on your phone even if you haven’t applied any proxy settings, then follow these instructions to fix this issue (these steps is different depending on your mobile device model):
- Go to your” Settings” and select “Network & Internet”.
- Next, select “Mobile network”, and choose the SIM card that you are using to access the internet.
- Once you have done go to “Advanced” section and choose “Access Point Names”.
- Now, check the Proxy field – it should be empty. If anything you find in the field delete it and save the settings.
This post has listed all useful methods to get rid of the ERR_PROXY_CONNECTION_FAILED error on windows 10, 8.1, and 7 computers.
However, if you are still having trouble with the problem, sometimes issues can also occur if malicious or adware tools got installed on your PC. To uninstall the program open Control Panel > Programs > Uninstall Program > Programs and Features. Uninstall the software that was installed automatically on your computer.
You can also try this method if you are still having an issue, please reset your Chrome Browser settings, this will reset the chrome setup to the default settings. To reset open your Google Chrome > Click on the Chrome menu (three vertical dots) > Settings > Advanced Settings > Reset Settings.